Though Goose Hollow has retained its name throughout most of its history, other names have sometimes been applied to the neighborhood and places within it.
Canyon Creek: during part of the 1860s and 1870s Tanner Creek was briefly called Canyon Creek, and the area surrounding the creek was also intermittently referred to by this name.
Goose Hollow: the neighborhood acquired this name in 1875 as first uncovered in the book Portland's Goose Hollow by Tracy Prince.
Paradise Valley and Paradise Hill: around the 1880s, efforts were made to change the Goose Hollow name -- which was considered derogatory. An attempt was made to rename the area as Paradise Valley and the hill to the south as Paradise Hill. However, the more colorful Goose Hollow moniker was hard to shake, so the fancier name never took off.
King's Hill: has been called Park Hill, King's Hill, the Heights, Portland Heights, the West Hills, and in the 1870s-1880s it was called Gander Ridge (though this name shifted to refer to the southern heights in Goose Hollow).
Vista Ridge: has been called Mr. Carter's Hill, Paradise Hill, Portland Heights, and the West Hills.
Gander Ridge: has been called Robinson's Hill, Paradise Hill, Portland Heights, and the West Hills.
Robinson's Hill: the original name for what is now called Gander Ridge in SE Goose Hollow, named after Thomas Robinson (sometimes nicknamed Old Mountain Robinson), an original Portland City Counselman who owned the land with his wife Bridget in 1854. Robinson's Hill was also referred to as Mount Robinson or Robinson Hill.
The Lownsdale District: for a couple of years the northern flats in Goose Hollow were called the Lownsdale District. This name appeared in the Oregonian only once in the 1920s.
Tanner Creek: has been called Canyon Creek (during part of the 1860s and 1870s) and Old Barrels Creek (a nickname referring to the tannery vats which covered an acre of land on the current site of Civic Stadium for at least four decades.) But, since it was first used by Daniel Lownsdale in 1845 for his tannery operations, it has mostly been called Tanner Creek, though some early Oregonian stories occasionally used the name Tanner's Creek.
Multnomah Athletic Club: was once called the Multnomah Amateur Athletic Club, and is currently often nicknamed "the MAC."
Jeld-Wen Field: the current name of the stadium has in the past been called Multnomah Field, Multnomah Stadium, Civic Stadium, and most recently PGE Park.
Information courtesy of Dr. Tracy J. Prince's Portland's Goose Hollow.